The Gunbang Action Group (GAG) works to minimise the harms experienced by the community from alcohol and other substances, including kava and volatile substances. It is a management, advisory and advocacy body.
From local knowledge and networks, it identifies problems associated with alcohol and other substances and then helps to formulate and coordinate practical responses that are appropriate for the region. It can also have a role in implementing and monitoring initiatives.
There are formal Terms of Reference that set out the goals and processes governing the GAG. Specific activities for GAG that are prescribed within the Terms of Reference include:
- Developing and overseeing a local Alcohol Management Plan
- Providing a forum to discuss local issues and information related to alcohol and other substances of concern.
- ldentifying and developing strategies and policies to minimize harm form alcohol and other substances of concern.
- Supporting the effective and efficient implementation of strategies
- Facilitating access to data and other information sources of relevance to research projects or policy and strategy development.
- Monitoring the outcomes of strategies to ensure outcomes are enhanced and reinforced.
- Liaising with external agencies with relevant responsibilities and interests in issues related to alcohol and other substances of concern.
- Making policy and action recommendations to government and other agencies.
- Ensuring communication with the community about relevant issues, significant developments and activities.
While its primary focus is on issues of substance misuse, the GAG may elect to engage in other activities relevant to the wellbeing of the local community.